Background

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Giving Santa a Hand

With an incentive payout just in time for the joys of Christmas, I opted to give Santa a hand and buy myself a DSLR. It's been on my personal wishlist for several years and I knew that if I didn't get a lump sum of money to spend it would probably never happen.

We've been busting our butts for the past 6 months at work trying to get this payout and I knew just what I was going to do with it.

I have a Canon EOS Rebel film camera and still love it. I just don't love the constraints of working with film these days, with it getting trickier to find processing, harder to find the film and working around the film-grain issue. Not to mention the expense of getting the film processed and digitized. I know the poor thing is destined to be practically retired. There is still one good thing about having that camera-the 2 lenses I have for it are going to work with the new one.

I haven't been able to play with the new Canon EOS T3  much since the UPS man brought it to my door 2 days ago, but tonight I monkeyed around a little bit with the limited subjects found in the family room.

I did get one of the best shots of Mickey I've taken in a long time, one that shows the beauty of his soulful brown eyes and his loving countenance without the typical burnout and pet-eye.

He was right on top of my camera lens so he's got a bit of distortion but really, who can look past those eyes?

I've much to learn, this camera is not really much like the film version at all, having about 12 years of technology under Canon's belt since the RebelG was new. I look forward to learning and sharing as I go. In time I'll even learn to note my settings so I can learn a thing or two about what I've created.

My first goal is to be able to get some great (good would even be acceptable) shots on Christmas day... so practice is in order over the next 10 days.


No comments: